Opting for property management for your house is a definitely good idea but remember it can be one of the most terrible things if you're lacking the necessary information.
That being said, it is important for all to have the necessary information about management and the work of the property managers. This is an important part because it helps the property owners in deciding whether or not the manager they're hiring is well suited to meet all their requirements.
Here is some information for you –
Property Management –
The process of operation, control, and oversight of real estate in the broadest terms are called property management. Management here indicates a need to be cared of, monitored, and answerability is given the property's life and conditions. Including this, management of property also involves the management of personal property, equipment, tooling and other assets that are used in building, repairing, and maintain the end items deliverables.
Roles of the Property Management Agent –
- Setting the Property Purchase / Rental Amount – The first and foremost role that every manager or estate agency has to play is planning the cost of the property or the rental amount. This process would involve the property owner but should be done wisely after considering the important points like the condition of the property and the location where the property is located.
- Finding the Right Tenant / Buyer – The property managers will always be accessible to a wide number of property owners as well as property seekers which is why they are the best people to choose the buyers or tenants. Sorting out and picking the best is possible and it will always be a win-win situation for the property owners as well as the seekers.
- Screening Buyers / Tenants – For property owners selecting the best buyer or tenant isn't always possible but when it comes to the property managers they can choose the one that is best. This is usually because the agents only choose the property seekers after carefully looking into their profile and getting a check of their background information.
- Collecting the Rent – When associated with rental property dealers the property owners can entrust them with the duty of collecting rent well at the time. This saves the landlord from wasting whatever time is wasted in chasing the tenants for rent.
- Handling Complaints & Emergencies – Whatever be the complaints of the tenants or buyers should be handled by the agent well within the stipulated time Further, if there are a few emergencies that need attention they again fall under the duty book of the estate agents and should be met with almost immediately or depending on the type of situation that has come up.
- Handling Moveouts – When a tenant vacates the premises, the manager is responsible for inspecting the unit. Their job is to check for damages and determine what portion of the security deposit will be returned to the tenant. After the tenants move out is completed, they are also responsible for cleaning up the unit and repairing any damages that may be filed to locate a new tenant and fill the vacancy.
- Dealing with Evictions – In case the tenant hasn't been paying rent or has been causing disturbance you might have to get the house evicted by him. In that case, the property owner holds the complete responsibility of getting the property evicted at the earliest possible. Before the eviction, the manager needs to ensure all dues are settled and nothing is payable from both the sides.
- Maintenance & Repairs – Whatever is included in the maintenance work is the responsibility of the property manager and should be handled accordingly. Whether maintenance and repairs including hiring someone to take care of the leaks, performing landscapes, remove snow, eliminate thrash – it is all the work of the manager. He needs to ensure the right people are hired and in case someone is taking a day off from work there is always a replacement that is available.
- Maintaining Records – Maintenance of all property related documents is just another thing added to the list of the duties that the dealer is required to perform. The agents must ensure proper files are maintained for each tenant or buyer and the files include the necessary information. It should also include any dues that need to be cleared from both the parties.
- Responsibility for Taxes – The property manager can assist the property owner with comprehending the most beneficial way to file their taxes about the investment property. The concerned person may also be endowed with the power to file the charges regarding the property on behalf of the owner.
Even though property management might look like an easy management process remember it has a lot involved in it and everything needs to be managed in the best possible ways. Further, the varied roles assigned to the property manager depend on whether he is working on a rental property or the one that is being sold.